In follow up to my last post, I paid my $8 (it was a matinée!) and I saw the Sex and the City movie. At first, I was entertained and mildly annoyed. But then the more I thought about it, and talked to other people who saw it, the more I was annoyed and less entertained.


The movie was everything I hated about the series, but even more so. Watching the movie, I found it hard to believe that these characters were supposed to be around 40-50 years old. They were acting like completely self-centered 20-somethings (and I'm a 20-something). It was all "my wedding" and "my marriage" and "I have to find MYself" and "you hurt MY feelings." Me me me. The only one of the four that I liked was Charlotte, and she was always my least favorite. But, she was the only one that I felt acted her age. She understood what it meant to have a healthy relationship - surprise surprise, you are willing to put the other person's needs before your own.

I read an article on Jezebel (not the best site, but sometimes interesting) that summed it up pretty well: "These women are assholes." Is it really empowering to have such disregard for the feelings of your partner - the person you love? Regardless of gender, the ways these women acted during most of the movie (and the TV series) made me kind of appalled to be associated with them in any way, even gender.

The crappy thing is, this movie was so lauded for beings successful despite having no male leads. So, in that sense, it was a success for women. And as a woman (and just a person in general), it makes me really sad that a movie about women that are so self-consumed with labels, appearances and what's-in-it-for-me is one of the most successful movies starring women for a female audience.



Maybe I'll go watch Steel Magnolias as an antidote.

Creative Commons License