2.14.2008

Smoochie boochies

GO on…kiss 'em!!! Why not? What are you afraid of? What the old lady in line will think? What your coworker will say after lunch break? That you'll blush? Go on…blush away!!! If you feel something for 'em..do it!!!

Why are we so afraid of showing our emotions? And showing them in public??? Forget it! Maybe when you get home that's when the cuddling and the smoochies begin but definitely not before you cross the threshold. As if the feelings you have for a partner, a new love interest, or a 15-year old already-know-what-your-morning break-is-like and I still love you courtship should be hidden for fear that you might "offend" the person next to you or make the single guy at the table next to you feel "sad". Would you do it already? I promise…the dude beside you will get over it. Don't think you have that much power over his emotions.

And while we're on the topic…don't do it because it's Valetine's Day. Do it because you want to. Do it on February 15, too. Hell do it on August 15. What the hell does Hallmark have to do with you showing your emotions in a fearless, no holds barred, good golly I love ya kind of way?

It's like being politically correct has seeped into every single action we take and every single decision we make. It's like people living in the United States are more worried about looking silly than planting a big fat one on the person they like, adore, love, lust after, fancy, or whatever you wanna call it. I actually felt the difference emerge as I flew over the continental U.S. last time I went home with my partner. We were the only ones holding hands. I was one of the only ones that planted a juice one on him in line waiting to board. As a Mexican, he sure as hell isn't afraid to let me know how special I am. And I'm pretty damn special. Why shouldn't he let me know it? And so is he. So shouldn't he be reminded every single day, too?

I would like to think that this is at least the one day a year that no one would give a hootinany about what or who your partner is. Naturally, this a naïve desire. But, that doesn't mean that even if the other 364 days of the year you have to second guess your affectionate actions that today, even if it's a little bit more set-back, or perhaps just as everyone else walks through the door and you are left alone, do it. I know it's a lot to ask. Probably too much. It's actually an ignorant, obnoxious request for some. But I’m STILL going to put it out there. What have you got to lose?

Oh and you don't have someone to smooch with? STOP eating bon bons (why is that the always the candy of choice for these examples?) on the couch, by yourself, watching stupid, sappy movies. Get over it. It's a FACT that you've either already had a special someone or will have one. I promise. And if that's not the case, you need to CHANGE it.

And let me give you a little boost of energy. Here, in Mexico, it's actually called "The day of love and FRIENDSHIP". That's right, they don't force you to feel like you're not special. They don't squeeze you for every penny you've got so that YOU'RE special someone has more flowers than everyone else. They allow you to bask in the fact that you may not be gettin' any tonight, but you can still go home feeling 100% satisfied for having such kick-ass amigos in your life.

Hey maybe I'm being insensitive. Maybe too optimistic. And yes, maybe it's because I have a special someone. But really…should any of that stop you?
GO OUT AND KISS SOMEONE!!!
(And go see the Vagina Monologues. It's at a university near you. I promise.)

Creative Commons License