Bil Browning joins us today from The Bilerico Project:

I think by now most of our readers realize I’m not the biggest fan of Hillary Clinton. Do I think she’ll end up the democratic candidate? Yeah. Will I support her if she does? Hell yeah. But am I excited about the possibility of Hillary as Prez? Let’s just say I’m about as excited over the idea as I was over a Kerry presidency – better than what we have but not particularly exciting.

I have to admit, however, that some of the sexism that has been directed Hillary’s way is really starting to piss me off. You don’t have to look very far to find blatant examples - check just about any mass media story. In fact, you know things are going a little too far when even the wingnuts are starting to tire of the same sexist drivel.

As an example, check out what the Indiana Family Institute's blog has to say on the subject. The far-right organization, known for their parent's orgs sexism, homophobia and racism (the Southern Poverty Law Center has classified the American Family Association a "hate group" similar to the KKK or other "white power" groups), is hardly a bastion of liberal thought and yet while they work in the obligatory pokes at the left, you can read for yourself that they're quickly wearying of the FOX "News" talking points.

"Personally, I am a little tired of discussing Hillary Clinton's femininity. It's unfair to her and it's the least important topic of the Presidential campaign. It's time we stop discussing:

  • Pantsuits: What else is she going to wear? If I were a woman, I wouldn't want to be campaigning in high heels and a tight dress.
  • Women's Issues: Just because Hillary is a woman doesn't mean she needs to talk endlessly about "women's issues." She's running for President of the United States, not of the women's auxiliary to the country club.
  • Her husband: I don't agree with her much, but she's intelligent enough on her own. I've always thought that she actually may be MORE intelligent than former President Clinton. Again, I don't agree with Sen. Clinton much, but she's likely to be a major contender for leader of the free world. Isn't it about time we stop acting like the only thing that defines her is that she is a woman?"

So when will we see the articles on what brand of suit Mitt Romney is wearing or what type of shoes Bill Richardson favors? So far, the closest contender is John "Do these sweaters make me look gay?" McCain and the media didn't raise that issue - the candidate did!

So let's enjoy a moment to imagine... *cue the dreamy music* Let's critique the men for a second - hair, makeup, clothes, it's all up for grabs. Let's try and make our comments look like how the media is currently describing Hillary's every move, shall we? Any takers?

Creative Commons License